The castle of Nea Epidaurus, in Peloponnese is a medieval settlement that evolved into a modern, uplifted natural settlement, over a precipice and relatively close to the sea.
The castle was probably built during the Byzantine times and was completed in the years of the Frankish and later Venetian rule. Only the ruins of some towers remain today from this Castle. Three churches used to stand inside the walls: the churches of Saint Theodosius, of Panagia and of Saint John. Only the last one survives today. In a walking distance from the Medieval Castle of Nea Epidaurus, the first Constitutional Meeting of the modern Greek State took place in 1822.
The Turks prevailed in the area after 1481, when the Venetians were forced to capitulate and surrender most of the castles of Argolis. On December 20, 1821, the First National Assembly of the Greeks began in Piada and ended on January 16, 1822, where it declared Greece’s independence. The settlement is inhabited to this day, with little remnants of Venetian fortification.
On the hill above the traditional village of Nea Epidaurus, about 15 km from the archaeological site, there stand the ruins of a Medieval Castle, built to protect the area from enemies and pirates. The hill constitutes a natural fortification site as from up there someone can observe the whole area and valley of Epidaurus Peloponnese.
Structure, Fortification & Buildings
There are some remains of the walls around the rock of the castle which was the “acropolis” of the old settlement. The top of the castle is a small, narrow area about 2000 sq.m. What you will see: Some scattered ruins and a renovated church which is the only building. Close by, there is also the lovely gorge of Vothylas.